whoopigsooie
Tuesday, January 02, 2007
  Facing Your Giants
Those of you that know me personally, know that I use a calendar to keep up with how long it takes me to finish reading a book. I have good intentions and get a good start mind you, but finishing is almost impossible for me. I finished a couple of Grisham books on vacation last year, (one week period) and I boasted for weeks of my accomplishments. And see...since most of Grishams books end up on the silver screen, I could have just used the excuse of experiencing the read through the movie but I didn't. Boasting again.
One of my Christmas gifts this year was the new Max Lucado book "Facing Your Giants." It is an easy read, (duh, its Lucado), and inspired by the life of David which is one of my favorite bible characters. I faced an incredible giant in my life in '06 and could have used the book earlier but with the help of some amazing friends and God's grace I made it just fine.
Giants come in all shapes and sizes. Here's an excerpt from the book that sorta wraps up its contents for me...
"Goliaths still roam our world. Debt. Disaster. Dialysis. Danger. Deceit. Disease. Depression. Super-size challenges still swagger and strut, still pilfer sleep and embezzle peace and liposuction joy. But they can't dominate you. You know how to deal with them. You face giants by facing God first."
Focus on giants-you stumble,
Focus on God-your giants tumble

The above 'Goliaths' were brought to you by the letter "D". There are 25 other letters in the alphabet which would love to raise their ugly head as well. Its inevitable. When one gets defeated another will be itching to take its place.
My prayer is that when the giants show up this year, and they will, I will be better prepared to combat them. Reading this book, spending time in the word and praying more consistently will be a good starting place to equip me for those battles. I am determined to face my first giant of the new year. Its name is "Do It Later." I AM finishing this book.
By the way..."Happy New Year" and remember...God is a giant killer. Include Him in your arsenal.
 
Comments:
D is good....Donna is a "D" word...

But "P"...sounds like you are talking about that procrastination Giant that lives at my house...
 
I think Fear is my biggest giant. I read in a devotion yesterday morning about how many times "Fear not" is used in the Bible. It's not just a suggestion, it's a commandment. Don't be afraid.

I'm still afraid.
 
What is the world coming to....Keith Riley is reading a book?!?!??! :) Must be a leap year.

Great post, brother! ANY Lucado book is worth the time it takes to read it. I am reading one right now that he wrote last year, and it is blessing me.

I got plenty of "Giants" also, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Get in line.

God truely is a Giant killer!

DU
 
I am so BAD about starting books and not finishing them. Usually when I start a really good study or reference book I have a highlighter in hand and really concentrate. I wear myself out before I get half way! I need an easy read. I need large print! I need to stop procrastinating and read something encouraging. Let's start a book club and give each other reviews and homework!
 
I've seen this book a time or two. May pick it up now. Thanks for the post.

Paula
 
I'm glad I checked out your blog because I needed to be reminded of this. My giant is fear with a dash of lack of trust and a side of depression thrown in.
 
I checked out your blog after reading a comment you left on Barbara's blog. So encouraging.

That stinking I'll do it later gets me all the time!

I just read Lucado's "Just In Case You Ever Wonder" to my daughter before bed. She wanted to know why I was crying.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

I'm just an average joe, a faithful believer, a forgiven child of God.

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / April 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / November 2007 /


blogspot counter
Powered by Blogger