whoopigsooie
Monday, October 02, 2006
  ROAD TRIP

This weekend, 5 banker buddies and myself embark on Jordan Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama to watch the Hogs take on the #2 ranked Tigers. We will leave immediately after work friday and drive to Montgomery and find a cheap hotel for a few hours, before leaving early again Saturday morning to get to the stadium for the 11:00 kickoff. We've rented a conversion van complete with a DVD player and captains chairs. It will hopefully be a fun and memorable trip. The 11:00 kickoff is too early for a weekend football game start time in my opinion, but history favors the visiting team in these situations. The early kickoff doesn't allow the home team fans to tailgate all day long and consume beverages of choice that will enhance their "team spirit" come game time. I'll take the advantage if there is one. The Hogs are outmatched physically on paper. Auburn is big and strong and fast and have only allowed opponents an average of 8 points per game scoring thus far. The key to an Arkansas victory, in my opinion, is the unveiling of first year offensive co-ordinator Gus Malzhan's new "no huddle, hurry up offense", if head coach Houston Nutt allows him to run it full throttle. We have seen glimpses of it in the first 4 games but it is definately a watered down version. Rumors are that the players have embraced it and want to run it but the Head Hog subscribes to a more "ball control" philosophy. In my opinion, it boils down to pride. Coach Nutt had to give up play calling responsibilities this year in order to secure his job but he didn't want to. He conceded in hiring an O.C. but one rein still lays in Nutt's hand. Pride. Now Tuberville has some pride issues of his own. Reflect back to his post game comments after the South Carolina game in which the reporter asked about the surprise on-side kick that completely caught Spurrier off guard. It was a great call. Did he give his staff any credit? No. His response was, (paraphrased),"It worked at the time and made me look like a genius." Pride. I think the winner of this game may come down to which head coach gives way to his prideful thinking, and allows the staff they have assembled go out and do their job. Arkansas in an upset, 21-17.

 
Comments:
Having spent a few years right out of college in the banking world, I know how you banker boys can be... y'all be careful.

I can agree with most of what you said - I just don't like your thoughts on the score. You've done really well on your prognostications thus far, I hope this is the weekend you mess up!

I'd ask you to text me the score but I'm afraid you'd "embellish" so I'm going to need to get the score from a neutral source (if there is such a person)

Just so you know, I'm a fabulous winner and a sorry loser. When Auburn wins, I will not bring it up again. On the off chance that the pigs win, I'll not be pleasant.
 
I hope your success continues in your prognostications!

It is hard to live in this state with such "good" winners!
 
I believe the word I used was "fabulous"
 
Auburn sure looked beatable last week. They all but gave it away. They just got lucky in the end.
 
My bad...Fabulous winners (can you not feel the humility oozing from her....)
 
Reality is the word for the week concerning the Hogs. There won't be any saving wind gust, and there won't be 3 missed field goals this week. This could get ugly quick.

DU
 
From your mouth to God's ears, DU!
 
OK, BAMA KIDS...the Iron Bowl is not until November. You guys have taken the gloves off a little early. Calm down. Quit "hogging" my site!
 
At least you called us "Bama" kids....
 
Auburn is indeed, beatable. S.C showed that last Thursday night. Can we beat them at home? Maybe 2 out of 10 times. But in the SEC the old adage goes like this...any given Saturday...(this is our Saturday-don't tell Terri! she gets kinda crazy just thinking about the possibility)
 
Hell hath no fury... like an Auburn fan getting ganged up on by a bunch of elephants and pigs!
 
Keith, you evidently didn't notice....she was AGREEING with me!
Maybe you have taken up the brain of a Hog also. Wait a minute....Hogs are supposed to have a high I.Q. Maybe I have rubbed off on you and you have the brain of an elephant. A big CRIMSON one! :)

DU
 
Hey Herbie. I was mainly talking about the "cat fight" between DJG and TKL. I know you hate it when you aren't the "bullseye." Maybe still a little sore about the missed field goal(s)?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

I'm just an average joe, a faithful believer, a forgiven child of God.

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / April 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / November 2007 /


blogspot counter
Powered by Blogger