whoopigsooie
Thursday, October 12, 2006
  Celebrity Sighting


I returned from lunch and a familiar face appeared outside my office door. It was Howard Mix, a mentor of mine who gave me my first secular job out of college. Howard hired me to work flipping burgers at Andys Hamburgers and within a couple of months, worked me into management. I only stayed about a year and went into the lumber business for the next 15 years, blah, blah, blah. Howard and I are still friends and I am fortunate to bank him now. He comes in and introduces me to a friend of his from California who wants to talk about financing a small farm for him. After small talk, Howard excused himself and left me and Dave Olsen to get acquainted. We talked about his upcoming purchase and a couple of boring options. Then we came to the part of the conversation when I ask, "So Dave, what do you do for a living?" He responded with some impressive answers ranging from real estate development to consulting. Then in one unforgettable, matter of fact statement with Dave not changing his inflection he said, "and I also handle a few deals for my daughters; you may know them...Mary Kate & Ashley. I'm sure he witnessed my jaw drop to the desk as I stammered for just the right way to ask him, "Did you just say Mary Kate & Ashley?" My voice, on the other hand, had elevated a couple of octaves. He humbly responded yes without words and only by shaking his head up and down and grinning at me. "DUDE", you're their DAD, I was thinking to myself? My insides were shaking but I held my composure in the most professional banker stiffness manner possible as to not give away my adolescent excitement that the father of the richest actress kids on the planet was in my office to borrow money. We continued our visit and he couldn't have been more California laid back and relaxed. He gave me his cell phone number and we shook hands, closing the deal. This doesn't happen every day in Searcy, AR. so forgive my giddyness. If this banking gig gets too boring, I may give Dave a call and try to cash in on a favor as an extra in the Olsen twins next movie. Stay tuned.
 
Comments:
What? Y'all don't have privacy laws in Arkansas? You have just given out first and last names and business intentions of customers as well as family information AND the city that this has taken place in.

You better hope my next job is not a bank auditor!
 
Well, aren't you a lucky dog? That is pretty cool. I keep waiting for a celebrity sighting here in Franklin. The stars live all around me but I haven't seen one yet. You may get to see the twins someday. That would be neat.
 
I think you may need to learn to use the word "furtive" if you expect to be a big star!

BTW- My word today was "huckster". I bet you know that word!
 
Oh yeah..........well I saw the "Cisco Kid" one time at the Mid-South fair in Memphis. Top that, loser!

And for the record, Billy Bob Thornton already played your perfect part in "Slingblade". Cept he was acting.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

I'm just an average joe, a faithful believer, a forgiven child of God.

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / April 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / November 2007 /


blogspot counter
Powered by Blogger