whoopigsooie
Friday, September 22, 2006
  FUNdamental Football

I was all geared up to travel to Paragould Saturday and watch the game with my mom when fate changed my plans. My name was drawn from a small cardboard box at a local motorcycle dealership where I had registered for 2 Razorback tickets to be given away while visiting a client. No longer had I returned to the bank when I heard on the radio that I had won the tickets. I hated cancelling my date with mom but she understood and would have done the same if she had won them. So tommorrow, my son Stephen and I will be among 70,000 other rabid Hog fans trying to cheer them on to their first 2-0 SEC conference start in several years. Both teams are very similar on paper. Both teams have rookie starting quarterbacks; Mustain a true freshman phenom for Arkansas and John Parker Wilson, a sophmore taking over for the beloved Brody Croyle. Both teams strengths center around the running game, with McFadden and Darby bucking for top running back honors in the SEC this year. Both have good defenses but neither has tackled well this year. This will be the first road game for the Tide, but historically, the Hogs haven't defended their home turf very well; at least in Fayetteville. The outcome of this game will come down to which team executes the fewest mistakes in the fundamentals department. Blocking assignments, passing routes, tackling techniques, proper coverages, and special team play won't necessarily show up on the stat page but the 11 men on each series of play that decide to focus on perfection will experience the FUN in fundamentals at the end of the game. Weather will also factor into the outcome. If the weatherman is right and the showers come, this game will be fought between the tackles. Smashmouth, Saturday afternoon, SEC football. It don't get no FUNNER than that.
Hogs 24, Tide 21
 
Comments:
Whoo pig!!!! I'd be for Iraq if they were playing The Tide! :)

Don't tell Donna I said that!
 
Of course it could all change today, but one thing that you didn't mention is that these two programs are not at the same place right now. Bama has won 14 out of it's last 16 games, and won 10 last year. The Razorbacks are coming off two losing seasons, and like I said earlier in the week, this past weekend they were one gust of wind away from calling for Nutt's head on a platter. A Hog platter at that. Will that be a factor today? Could be......in that the Hogs are somewhat desperate, and that makes them dangersous. On the other hand, they are also fragile, so an early lead for the Tide could cause them to panic. Both teams are young, so who knows what is going to happen. I give the offenses a draw, but I will take Joe Kines over Reggie "I know how to yell at my players non-stop" Herring any day of the week and twice on Sunday. So, this will shock you....I am sticking with my Tide. Watch out for big #71....Andre the giant. Welcome Mitch Mustain to big time SEC football. You ain't in Sprindale no more! :)

DU
 
Congratulations on the win! I bought a lottery ticket once but I didn't win.
 
You should bet on football for a living....

Terri used to be my friend!
 
What a game. It's still hard to feel real good about a game when the opposing kicker misses 3, count them 3 field goals and an extra point. I'll take a lucky win over a nearly flawless loosing effort any day.
Bring on Auburn in 2 weeks. I'll be there!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

I'm just an average joe, a faithful believer, a forgiven child of God.

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / April 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / November 2007 /


blogspot counter
Powered by Blogger