whoopigsooie
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
  We Must Protect This House
The marketing slogan, "We Must Protect This House," was made famous by the popular TV commercials of athletic garment manufacturer Under Armor. Its catchy rhythmatic jingle, coupled with a dynamic mission statement rivals nothing short of any number of military commercials, aimed at inspiring all takers to unify and overcome. It has become a staple of many pre-game sporting event rituals. Stating it repetitively, and in a cresendo fashion, in theory becomes sort of a bonding agent leading up to the battle. The key word in this phrase that has caught my attention, is the word protect. Protection is one of the most basic human needs that we have. We go to great lengths to protect our families. We do the obvious by building homes to protect us from the elements. We research data to determine the safest neighborhoods in which to build or purchase those homes. We want reputable neighbors to protect our children from bad influences. Consumer Reports is a staple for generation X as a resource for buying the safest car in which to drive. We carry umbrellas, sunscreen, lip balm, gloves, sunglasses. We have passwords for our computers and pin numbers for our debit cards; all for the sake of protection. And they are good, necessary measures for sure. The thing that got me concerned about my thought process with regard to protecting and being protected was this; I was becoming consumed with putting my own safety nets in place and forgetting who the Great Protector was. Protection, I realized, is available to me if I am faithful enough to trust that God will certainly protect me, regardless of the need. David had many struggles as he records in the book of Psalms; but he knew where his source of protection came from. "Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge." 16:1. "O Lord my God, I take refuge in you; save and deliver me from all who pursue me." 7:1. (and my favorite) "But you are a shield around me, O Lord; You bestow glory on me and lift up my head." 3:3. I pray that I have the faith of David going forward, and realize it is God, who indeed is the only one capable of "Protecting our house."
 
Comments:
Ultimately it is God alone that can truly protect us. We may fight some battles but he wins the war.
 
There were so many times when I would just scream "God! Help Me!" I didn't know how but I knew he would.

Hey, I have this addiction to lip stuff... that's ok, right?
 
Princess....as long as you're not eating it, I suppose it's OK!

I'm trying to not put God on retainer and dismiss the trend I've had in the past of saying,"I know you're there God; I'll call you if I need you." That's not a relationship. I'm working on involving Him on the front end instead of always asking him to bail me out. Thanks for the comments.
 
Keith, super post! The book I am reading by Larry Crabb addresses this SAME issue. You would enjoy reading it also.

And I thought you were going to talk about the Razorbacks protecting their house. Silly me.

DU
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

I'm just an average joe, a faithful believer, a forgiven child of God.

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / April 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / November 2007 /


blogspot counter
Powered by Blogger