whoopigsooie
Monday, August 21, 2006
  Summer Thoughts
I like the weather and all, except for the high humidity and 100 degree temps, but I enjoy cooler times. I'm not a huge baseball fan, although I always catch the Cardinal boxscore, so during the summer I experience sports withdrawals to a degree. I love college football, any level, expecially the Hogs and the Harding Bisons. I usually attend 2-3 Hog games a season and was in Little Rock sitting in Hog Heaven when they beat LSU in the "Miracle on Markham" a coupld of years ago. I can't read enough about pre-season practices. This draw I have for my "teams" stems from my impressional years growing up on the country off of Highway 1 in Wynne, Arkansas and sitting with my mom and watching the few Razorback games that were broadcast on one of the 3 available television channels during that era. There was only NBC, ABC, and CBS. I remember Keith Jackson and Kurt Gowdy doing the play by play for the big games against the Texas teams. I would go outside during halftime and re-enact the highlites in my fantasy football yard. A crisp autumn day with the smell of cotton bowels in the field behind our house was the backdrop for my re-enactment. Mom would be the QB and toss me a less than perfect spiral which I always caught for a touchdown. Mom was my biggest cheerleader and a huge Razorback fan. I think I grew to like the Hogs because she liked them so much and I certainly loved her.
The Ark-USC game is 12 days away and excitement is in the air. We don't need bulletin board material to get fired up for this one; last year's shellacking is still fresh on our minds. This years game will be much different and I can't wait till kickoff. I can almost smell the cotton bowels. Love ya, Mom
 
Comments:
To each, his own. War Eagle.
 
Glad to have you back! I'm a huge football fan -- more pro than college. I live in Michigan, but am on Ohio State's payroll and a son who is a huge Texas fan (sorry). Pro just seems safer for me....
 
You are blessed to have such a special mom! Be thankful!

There is not enough blog-space for me to talk about college football and how my life has been inpacted by it. I think it is the strongest bond me and my dad have.....sad to say. It should be a spiritual one, but it isn't.....it's ALABAMA football.
Dad is on his last leg (literally) and I was hoping last year Bama was going to do even better than they did, even though they were 9-0 at one point. I wanted Dad to see one more National Championship.

Like you, I can't wait. I get just as excited about High School football.....with my Cats and Lions. High School football is the purest form of football there is, in my opinion. Maybe not for much longer........did you see where NBC has a prime slot show this fall centered around High School football? Not good.

Hope your Hogs have a better season, like maybe a winning one! :) I will only be pulling against them in one game.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

DU

P.S. Patrick, you can have your pro's! T.O. and his likes are enough to turn anybody off of pro ball. But, I do keep up with Jeb and Tank. They are home boys.
 
Patrick
The Buckeyes vs Horns game will be huge. Payback will be tough in Austin but can be done now that they are "Vinceless."

Terri
Six of us banker types will be taking a road trip to Auburn on October 7 to watch our Hogs take on the Tigers. If we have a cancellation, you are welcome to join us....but you must wear a "Hog Snout."
 
Stop in Nashville, I'll be at the Zoe conference! I will NOT be wearing a snout in this life time!

As a former banker type - I understand.
 
I would LOVE to be at the Zoe conference. I've used all my vacation this year between family and the Pepperdine lecturship;where I got to worship with ZOE every day. They are great. Have fun. Hogs 24, Tigers 18.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Searcy, Arkansas, United States

I'm just an average joe, a faithful believer, a forgiven child of God.

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / April 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / November 2007 /


blogspot counter
Powered by Blogger